Thursday, February 20, 2014

Song Birds Part 2

Eric and I are empty nesters for the second time. Our baby birds have left the nest and gone in search of their own trees singing new, original songs of joy. I feel sadness at their loss but joy that they survived and eagerness to see where their wings will take them.

Of course, there were some scary moments as we watched our babies grow into teenagers in a brief span of four days.. One evening, while mama was out searching for food, the babies were in danger from a stray, black cat slinking along the fence in anticipation of an easy evening meal. I worried all night that the cat would return for a free meal but, thankfully, our growls and scary gestures were sufficient to keep him away.

And then there was the afternoon two days ago when I noticed two little, furry clumps snuggled together on the short grass beneath the tree. They were so still that I was afraid neither of them had survived gliding practice from nest to ground. However, upon closer inspection I was relieved to find their little downy feathers rising and falling with each tiny breath. I suffered another sleepless night in fear the cat would return or the the lawn mower man would make his random, surprise visit.

The baby birds and their parents became our dinner entertainment last night. The fledglings were pecking for their dinner - I hope they ate lots of the many millipedes that invade our house - when  Mama and Daddy came home from work with "take-out"  - fresh worms  -  and chirps of admonishment to their teenagers  to "make better choices."

"If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, cats and pit vipers are NOT your friends!" squawked Mama.

Consequently, Daddy posted himself as "lookout" in the weeping willow tree while Mama gave beginning flying lessons. The plump, eager fledglings reminded me of little 737s practicing "touch and goes" as they ran along the grass, flapping their wings until they were airborne for about five seconds and then dropped back to the ground to repeat the whole process again.

Tonight we're remembering how to be empty nesters again. I hope our little birds will remember to send a quick text message or make a brief call when they are in the area. We would love to hear from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment