Saturday, February 15, 2014

Song Birds in Lumut

I've never paid much attention to birds but it's hard to ignore them here. They sing ALL the time. And for someone like me who is very distracted by musical sounds and rhythms - I never have been able to write, read, or study with music playing in the background - the music of the birds catches my attention and makes it difficult for me to sleep, concentrate on writing blogs, and wonder if the heat of the tropics is gradually making me go nuts like Charles Marrow in Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Here's bird # 1's song:


He (or she, I don't know which) starts singing most mornings at about 2:30 am. He's loud, persistent, demanding, attention grabbing, and relentless like a piccolo in a marching band until about 10:30 pm. I don't know what he looks like but I think he and his numerous buddies - wouldn't you think he'd need help to party for 20 hours? - hang out in the tree in the abandoned lot next to our house. I find myself at 4:00 am trying to sing The Star Spangled Banner (isn't that the song to sing to get a broken record out of one's head?) just to try and get back to sleep.

Here's bird #2's song:


He is much more polite, gentle in tone, reflective, musical, and kind like a slow flute playing in the mid to lower register. He sings during daylight hours, especially mid-morning and mid to late afternoon. He can be calming, just like an afternoon cup of chamomile tea or a nap.






Here's a picture of some baby birds I discovered  in the nest in our small palm tree:



I thought the nest had been abandoned but obviously not.

The discovery of these baby birds has made me wonder the following:

Could the songs of the different birds be related - maybe one song is the mama and the other song is the daddy?

Are they singing for joy or voicing their concerns about how they will feed, clothe and educate their babies?

Are mama and daddy out partying? There is no one looking after the babies.

Will they stop singing when the babies leave the nest or will they sing louder as "empty nesters?"


Can't get the thoughts about song birds out of my head......







No comments:

Post a Comment