Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Daytrip to Taiping- Malaysia

The name Taiping has had me enthralled since moving to Malaysia. I didn't know why I recognized the name Taiping, but it sounded like something I'd read about, and because it's only about two hours away, I knew I needed to visit. Today was the day...

The drive north was uneventful but the arrival to the historical center confirmed that this was a good destination for a day trip. The clean, fresh air and the thick fog, slowly lifting to reveal the lush green mountain behind the calm lakes and ponds of the Lake Gardens, was a welcome respite to the rather industrial setting of Lumut, our home.

Our first stop was to walk around the Lake Gardens. I could feel the British influence with the gardens looking a bit like a miniature Hyde Park with palm and mangrove trees. However, the presence of wild monkeys and the picnic areas with Chinese-style roofs and bridges reminded me that I was in Malaysia. I walked within five feet of a mama monkey wielding a large stick in one hand and cuddling her newborn baby in the other. Needless to say, I was trying to snap pictures without rousing her wrathful, protective attention.

Mama monkey with baby cuddled in left hand and large stick (can't see) in right.


The next stop was the Allied War cemetery marking the deaths of over 850 war causalities with over 500 unidentified soliders killed during the Japanese occupation of Malaysia during WWII.

The next stop, a fact-finding trip to the base of Bukit Larut (Maxwell's Hill) informed me that we need to be in line at 7:30 am for the first-come-first-served 30 minute, 13 kilometer Land Rover trip to the top of the 1250 meter above sea level mountain. Unfortunately, tickets were sold out for today. The 13 kilometer hike to the top will be a goal for another day.

Base of climb to Maxwell's Hill
Labu Pottery at Perak State Museum
The next stop on the journey was the Perak State Museum. The building itself it nice to see and some of the artifacts inside helped me to better understand the culture and the flora and fauna of the area. The expressions on some of the stuffed animals made me think the taxidermist had a sense of humor, ( a lot of the dead animals were smiling...maybe he heard the radio commercial  telling us to smile- see earlier blog post---) but I'm not sure I actually want to see some of these animals in real life to confirm my theory. The wild cats, the giant flying rodents, the armored ant and termite eaters, the 24- foot long crocodile skeleton, and the python skeleton of the same length are kind of creepy and not something I want to meet in real life.


All during the day I was haunted by the idea that I should know Taiping for some reason. Thank goodness for the internet as I'm sure now, that I was confusing Taiping, China with Taiping, Malaysia. Here's what Wikipedia says about the Taiping Rebellion, that occurred in China. (I vaguely remember a tick on a time-line I'm sure I had to memorize in high school World History class.)

The Taiping Rebellion was a massive civil war in southern China from 1850 to 1864, against the ruling Manchu-led Qing Dynasty. It was a millenarian movement led by Hong Xiuquan, who announced that he had received visions in which he learned that he was the younger brother of Jesus. At least 20 million people died, mainly civilians, in one of the deadliest military conflicts in history.

So then I wondered where Taiping, Malaysia got its name. Prior to being called Taiping, it was called Klian Puah. (Klian means "mine" and Puah is a type of mango) .Again from Wikipedia I learned that the discovery of tin brought lots of Chinese workers to Malaysia although the vicious  deadly fights among many of the different Chinese clans forced the British to intervene. In addition , 

many Hakka had fled China when the Taiping Rebellion broke out there and found work in the mines of Chung Keng Quee ... from 1860 to 1884.

Although there has been a decline in tin mining deposits in the area, tin, rubber and rice continue to be important products in the Taiping economy. Many of the businesses maintain the Chinese shop house architecture while many government buildings have the Colonial architecture style. There are Catholic, Methodist, British and International schools along with the traditional Malay schools.Taiping is also the wettest place in Malaysia and a heavy downpour beginning in early afternoon confirmed that fact.

Although the tourist guides books give scant mention to Taiping, it is well worth a day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment